Monday, January 30, 2012

Just Admit It. It Must Be A Girl Crush!

Now I am sure by now you all are scratching your heads wandering if you should even read this blog post, but I assure you it's not what you think. A "girl crush" is, a phrase that many women in their 20's and 30's use in conversation, post on blogs and read in magazines. It refers to that fervent infatuation that one heterosexual woman develops for another woman who may seem impossibly sophisticated, gifted, beautiful or accomplished. And while a girl crush is, by its informal definition, not sexual in nature, the feelings that it triggers - excitement, nervousness, a sense of novelty - are very much like those that accompany a new romance. So now I can ask you. Have you ever had one? I know I have! In grade school and on through my 7th grade year, there was a girl we will call "A.L." that I so badly wanted to be like. She was popular, kind, and basically everything I wanted to be. I loved her clothes, hair, everything. So I started to emulate her style, but I gave it my own twist. I started to be more outgoing. Even after high school, I met women who made an impact on who I am today and they do not even know it.

                                                           
 See a "girl crush" is the way you start looking towards women you want to be like, and you can have a girl crush on someone you’ve just met, on someone you’ve admired from afar or even on a celebrity you have no chance of meeting in real life. Of course, meeting your crush is not necessarily the point; this is the reason you don’t generally develop girl crushes on women you’ve already befriended—the allure of a crush is sometimes the person’s unattainability. Your fascination is with the image you’ve created, not with the reality. Sometimes, you can't help but be attracted to qualities or characteristics in other women, whether they're qualities you want or not. But take note: a girl crush cannot be in your current group of friends. This is someone you admire from some kind of distance, like a co-worker, classmate, or old friend that you haven't seen or spoken to in years. Girl crushes fulfill certain voids, like your want for a new wardrobe or that auburn hair color that no hair colorist could ever duplicate.




 So, what should you do about your secret crush? Enjoy it, but use it as a catalyst for something good. Sign up for that Spanish language class you always thought about, and start planning your next vacation to Argentina. Or, tell that fashionista how much you admire her bold, trendy style. Make your girl crush's day, and tell her how awesome you think she is (unless it's someone you really don't associate with, in which case your profession of love could translate as creepy). Take inspiration from others and apply them to your own life. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all. At the end of the day, remember to love who you are. And then wonder who could be girl-crushing on you ..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all for all of your sweet messages! I love reading them, so keep them coming!

Twana

Followers