Friday, July 1, 2011

My Hope Chest Part 1

According to Wikipedia a hope chest, dowry chest, cedar chest, or glory box is a chest used to collect items of clothing or household linen, by unmarried young women in anticipation of married life. The term "hope chest" or "cedar chest" may be used primarily by Midwestern and Southern U.S. women, while "glory box" is used by women in the United Kingdom and Australia.

I do not have a so called "chest" to put my collection of things in, but over the years I have inherited and collected things that I call my "Hope Chest" I have them here and there, but each thing means so much to me. I know things are material and can be replaced,  but there are somethings to me that could not be. For instance all of the things my memaw has made or given to me. She is 90 and has dementia now, so all of the quilts, doilies, she has gave me could never be replaced. She always made quilts and gave them to everyone, but there is one that she gave me that means more to me than gold. It is her yo-yo quilt. She made it while living in California, she worked at a sewing mill and collected scraps of fabric that were to be thrown away. I had been wanting one so badly, but she told my mom in secret that she could no longer do those types of things and that she wanted me to have that one. The day she gave me that quilt will forever be embedded in my memory. Here's a piece of it!

And here are a couple more that she has made me.



                                         And here is my memaw (on the left,) along with two of her brothers!



I have also bought some china, my pattern is Royal Albert Old Country Roses. I love this pattern, I have every since I laid my eyes on it. My aunt Jayne also share the same fondness for this pattern. What can I say, good taste runs in the family! I would also love to get the Lenox Christmas pattern someday in the future. I also love old cut, depression, and milk glass. I would love to find a deviled egg dish and puch bowel in one of those one day! My mom has a punch bowel in the Broken Arches pattern, it is beautiful! I also love to collect tea cups and pots. I have one tea pot from Russia that is to die for! Here it is.

What are/were some of your items in your Hope Chests?  I hope that your Friday and first of the month has been a good one! Come back tomorrow for part 2 of My Hope Chest!!!

2 comments:

  1. Twana,
    I love your new blog! We seem to love the same things ... quilts, teapots, teacups, and I adore the Old Country Roses pattern!
    Have a Happy 4th of July!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    Thank you so much, that is so sweet of you! I thought the same exact thing when I was reading on your blog today! Hope to hear from you again soon!

    Twana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all for all of your sweet messages! I love reading them, so keep them coming!

Twana

Followers